Lasix (Furosemide) is a derivative of sulfonamide, a diuretic agent. It inhibits sodium and chlorine ions reabsorption. This medicine has an expressed diuretic, natriuretic, chlorouretic effect and increases excretion of potassium, calcium and magnesium ions.
These pills reduce pressure of left ventricular filling and heart preload as well as pulmonary pressure owing to dilation of large veins. They have antihypertensive action.
- A dose of 40 mg produces a diuretic effect within 60 min, which lasts for about 3 -6 h.
- If it’s injected intravenous the diuretic effect appears in 15 min and lasts for about 3 h.
Lasix: Basic Information
1 tablet of Lasix contains 40 mg of active substance called Furosemide; there are 50 and 250 pieces in a packing or 10 pieces in a strip, a box contains 5 strips. 1 ampoule with 2 ml of injection solution contains 20 mg; there are 10 or 50 ampoules in a box.
What Kinds of Diseases does Lasix Treat?
This medicine is prescribed in the following cases:
- Edema syndrome of various genesis (cardiac edema, hepatic edema, renal edema, after the second month of pregnancy, intoxicating edema)
- Brain edema
- Arterial hypertension
- Forced diuresis
- Renal failure
- Pulmonary edema
How to Use Lasix?
- It is recommended to use the most effective minimum dose of the medicine.
- Oral intake
- For adults the initial dose makes 20-40-80 mg/day. The supporting dose makes 20-40 mg/day.
- The pills should be taken on an empty stomach, without chewing and washing down with enough liquid.
- The initial prescribed dose for children makes 2 mg/kg of body weight. Don’t take more than 40 mg/day.
- The treatment duration depends on the disease character and has to be defined individually.
For adults and children over 15 years: 20-40 mg/day (1-2 amp.) intravenous or intramuscular (in extreme cases when it is impossible to apply the medicine intravenous or orally). If efficiency is insufficient it’s necessary to raise the dosage by 20 mg with 2 h intervals till you get desired therapeutic effect. The established single dose is to be inserted 1-2 times/day. The single dose shouldn’t exceed 1,5 g.
Consideration must be given to possible decrease of the reaction rate (while driving and operating mechanisms). During pregnancy the medicine has to be taken according to strict indications and only within a short period of time. Breastfeeding has to be suspended for the treatment period.
Not all patients can use diuretics based on furosemide. There is a list of absolute contraindications when it’s impossible to take the drug. In case of intolerance of certain components, allergy to Furosemide it’s necessary to stop taking this medicine.
In case of significant loss of water in organism the use of a diuretic medicine can have bad influence. At a sharp renal failure uncontrollable intake of the drug is undesirable too. A lack of potassium and magnesium is also a contraindication to the use of Lasix, a preliminary restoration of electrolytic balance is needed in this case. When the level of these minerals reaches rather stable indicators, it’s possible to use the diuretic if it’s still necessary.
Water-electrolytic/acid-base balance: progression of hypocalcaemia, metabolic acidosis (dry mouth, thirst strengthening, headache, spasms, heart rhythm disorder, muscle weakness, dyspeptic disorders). In cases of an accompanying therapy or improper nutrition the frequency of water and electrolytic imbalance increases. Potassium deficiency appears frequently after vomiting or diarrhea.
CNS and peripheral nervous system: headaches, visual impairment, paresthesia, dizziness.
- Cardiovascular system: orthostatic hypotension. In premature children within the first 14-28 days of life Furosemide can increase risk of arterial duct conservation.
- Sense organs: seldom – hearing disorder (reversible) and/or entotic sound.
- Hemopoietic system: hemoconcentration and aplastic anemia, leukocytopenia.
- Digestive system: seldom – nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, intrahepatic cholestasis; very seldom – increased level of liver transaminases, acute pancreatitis.
- Urinary system: symptomatology strengthening at prostate gland hypertrophy, renal duct narrowing, uronephrosis; serious injuries at premature children.
- Allergic reactions: nettle rash, pruritus, fever, vaskulitis, skin rash, interstitial nephritis; seldom – photosensitization, anaphylactic reaction (to the extent of anaphylactic shock).
- Laboratory indicators: increase of cholesterol level and triglycerides in blood plasma.
- Metabolism: hyperuricemia, gout exacerbation, glucose tolerance decrease (manifestation of delitescent diabetes is possible).
- Local reactions at the injection in muscles.
- Symptoms: hypovolemia, dehidration, hemoconcentration, thrombosis, weakness, apathy, sharp renal failure.
- Treatment: symptomatic – correction of water-electrolyte metabolism disorder.
- The intake of this medicine increases the myocardial irritability in relation to cardiac glycosides.
- A simultaneous intake with probenicid or methotrexate decreases the efficiency of Lasix (since these medicines have an identical secretion route). Lasix can decrease elimination of these medicines.
- This drug can also decrease the efficiency of hypoglycemic medicines, such as norepinephrine, epinephrine.
- It amplifies the action of theophylline, curare-type neuromuscular relaxants.
- In case of combined use of this medicine with sucralfate the interval of 2 h has to be maintained because of Lasix efficiency reduction (absorption reduction).
- A simultaneous treatment with medicines of lithium can cause damage of heart and nervous system due to decrease in elimination of lithium ions.
- In case of intravenous injection in combination with chloral hydrate the feeling of fever, increased perspiration, qualm, nausea, arterial tension increase, heart hurry can appear.
During the use of this medicine it’s recommended to eat food enriched with potassium (tomatoes, low-fat meat, avocado, spinach, acorn squash, cauliflower, pomegranate) since the treatment with Lasix in rare instances can lead to hypokalemia. In certain cases a medicamentous replacement of potassium or medicines that spare potassium can be indicated.
This remedy requires diuresis control in the daytime. It’s especially necessary to carefully control patients with urine outflow disorder (prostate gland hypertrophy, narrowing of renal duct or hydronephrosis).
It’s necessary to carefully control the persons with arterial hypotension, risk of excessive decrease of arterial tension, latent and manifest diabetes (dynamic control of glucose level in urine), gout (dynamic control of uric acid level in blood plasma), hepatonephric syndrome, hypoproteinosis.
Also it’s necessary to control dynamically the level of basic minerals in blood plasma. Careful observation of patients with progression of electrolytic metabolism disorders (vomiting, diarrhea, increased sweating) is recommended.
It’s necessary to control functions of kidneys and ultrasonography of kidneys at premature children (risk of stone disease, nephrocalcinosis).
It’s recommended to correct water-electrolytic and acid-base disbalance, hypovolemia, dehidration. It can be necessary to stop taking this drug temporarily.
Generic Lasix (Furosemide) produces quick effect on severe hypostases, hypertension, heart failure, but the drug can’t be taken without consulting the doctor. It’s forbidden to use it for weight loss. The initial effect is deceptive because you lose water, but not fat. Take the medicine only if the doctor prescribes it.
Ivan: After 4 injections of this remedy I felt the pain in the right hypochondrium… It was useless to prescribe it because now I’ve got hepatic insufficiency.
Maria_S: I will never take this pills again, I thought I will die: dizziness, consciousness loss, deliration.
Fil124: I got headaches after the intake of the tablet!
Barbara: My first experience with this medicine wasn’t good, I really felt bad. But in a week it got better and I felt a significant release. The majority of side effects went down almost to zero and my health improved.
Michail D.: Recently I was in a hospital with a heart attack. After a long peiod of treatment I got a diagnosis: serious heart failure. The problems with pressure started already in the hospital. The doctor prescribed me Lasix. I took it in tablets together with Asparkam. The doctor has explained that these two drugs always have to be taken together. My blood pressure normalized quickly. Now I drink these drugs every time my blood pressure increases. The doctor periodically corrects the scheme of treatment.
Sarah: Unfortunately, Lasix has many side effects. I use it only in extreme cases. For example, I work as a teacher and need to have excellent appearance therefore if I notice eyes puffiness in the morning I take Lasix. It’s very important to measure blood pressure because the medicine can reduce it significant. The medicine is not a panacea. You have to follow certain nourishing rules to prevent puffiness. Don’t use medicine for a long period f time to avoid the water balance disorder. I always advise to keep Lasix at hand, but to use it with care and not too often.
Rajesh239: Because of long lasting heart and kidneys diseases I got legs puffiness and breathlessness. I was hospitalized and the doctor prescribed to me Lasix to get rid of my puffiness. Soon I could feel the effect of Lasix as frequent urinations caused noticeable decrease of puffiness and arterial blood pressure also breathlessness disappeared. In the course of treatment my doctor controlled the dosage of this medicine. But the most important is that the main treatment was successful, undoubtedly, thanks to Lasix!