Nurturing in the New Year: Psoriasis Skincare Inside and Out
One of my annual traditions is to select a single word to guide my actions and intentions for the upcoming year. This word acts as a filter for my decisions, goals, and interactions. In previous years, my guiding words have included freedom, essential, and recovery. For 2023, my word is nurture.
I use this word as a tool for decision-making and as a way to find solutions when faced with difficulties or uncertainties. It helps bring clarity to my choices. This year, I want to bring a deeper sense of nurturing to how I take care of myself. My goal is to maintain physical, mental, and emotional health. As I continue to prioritize my overall well-being, manage my chronic conditions, and make behavioral changes to aid my healing, I also want to take a nurturing approach to my skincare.
Many of my current skincare practices were born out of a time when I felt overwhelmed by physical discomfort. When my psoriasis flared up, it affected more than just my hands and feet. I experienced pain, inflammation, and swelling throughout my body, including my scalp and genitals. I tried various ointments and emollients to soothe and nourish my damaged skin. Through trial and error, I discovered that my skin benefits from mild, gentle, natural, and basic products. Even something as simple as water was once a source of discomfort for me.
My approach to skincare remains largely the same – less is more, simplicity is better, and gentleness is key. This past year, I further nurtured my skin, hair, and nails by avoiding certain beauty products. I found that this approach not only protects but also validates my true self. As I continue to explore different ways of promoting healing and wellness from within, I want to share a few humble recommendations for those with psoriasis, sensitive skin, or anyone in need of nurturing.
- Aquaphor Healing Ointment Advanced Therapy Skin Protectant
- Aveeno Soothing Bath Treatment with 100% Natural Colloidal Oatmeal
- Gold Bond Ultimate Multi-Symptom Psoriasis Relief Cream
- Johnson's Baby Shampoo, Bodywash, and Baby Oil
- Natural sunlight (in moderation)
- Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo
- Vermont's Original Bag Balm
- Vitamin E oil
- Avoid or limit alcohol, caffeine, smoking, and refined sugar
- Prioritize healing your inner wounds and addressing mental health concerns
- Consider dietary changes to support a healthy eating pattern
- Engage in regular physical activity that brings joy
- Spend time in nature as often as possible
- Manage stress through techniques like breathing exercises, meditation, and taking breaks
- Eliminate draining activities and focus on those that fill you up